Our Paris Untour next Spring will include a day trip we plan to make to Versailles. We will be in the 2nd Arrondissement on Rue Marie Stuart. It appears that the most convenient train station for us will be Gare St. Lazare. We plan to take an early train so that we arrive by 9:00am.
My questions are as follows:
1) Is the Gare St. Lazare train station a good choice for the trip to Versailles?
2) Is it easy to purchase train tickets at the train station on the day of departure? Or is it better to get the train tickets ahead of time? We do not want to be in a long line waiting to buy tickets with the train ready to leave.
3) Are the grounds at Versailles wheelchair friendly?
4) What day of the week is best for visiting Versailles to avoid crowds?
5) We will be on a tight budget. Is it feasible to bring a picnic lunch and eat on the grounds? Or is there a reasonably priced cafe or restaurant there?
Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.
Bill & Eleanor Kover